We all experience feelings of anxiety at times – before a date, during a big exam, or the first day on a job. Much of the time anxiety helps us rise to the occasion, like having “butterflies” before playing a great game. But sometimes we let worrying get the better of us and we lose out on what life has to offer. If worrying, anxious feelings, or “nerves” cause problems in your daily life, you may have an anxiety disorder.
Anxiety disorders are the most common form of mental disorder, which means that most likely someone you know suffers from this type of problem. Common signs of anxiety disorders include feeling worried with no specific reason, experiencing anxiety or fear that is out of proportion to the situation, and increasingly avoiding situations where you feel anxious. The best way to determine if you might have an anxiety disorder is to ask yourself if the degree of the anxiety you experience interferes with your personal or professional life.
There are several different anxiety disorders with varying symptoms, according to the DSM-V. These include, but are not limited to:
- Separation Anxiety—excessive fear or anxiety about being separated from those to which the individual is attached
- Specific Phobia—increased anxiety surrounding a specific object or situation
- Social Anxiety—fear or anxiety specific to social situations
- Panic Disorder—recurrent unexpected panic attacks
- Agoraphobia—increased anxiety or fear surrounding open or closed spaces, being away from home, standing in line, or being in a crowd
- Generalized Anxiety—characterized by excessive worry
At Behavioral Sciences of Alabama, our qualified licensed therapists are trained in diagnosing and treating all types of anxiety disorders using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy.
Do you have anxiety problems? Call Behavioral Sciences of Alabama at 256.883.3231 from Athens, Decatur, Guntersville, Madison, and Huntsville, AL and we’ll help you overcome them. For your convenience, you can also fill out our online Request an Appointment form to schedule your consultation with us.